You are here
Dr. Kermit Muhammad is a native of Washington, D.C. He completed his undergraduate degree in psychology at Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia. He then completed medical school at Wake Forest School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. He returned to Washington, D.C., to complete his residency in orthopedic surgery at Howard University Hospital. He then received additional training in hand and microsurgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He is currently board-certified in orthopaedic surgery by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) and possesses a Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in hand surgery.
Dr. Muhammad is an active member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH), Chicago Society for Surgery of the Hand (CSSH), Kankakee Medical Society, Illinois State Medical Society, and American Medical Association.
Dr. Muhammad has presented in national and international academic forums. He has presented his research in the field of hand surgery in diverse locations, including Dublin, Ireland, and Zliten, Libya. Most recently he has presented at the 11th Triennial Congress of the International Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand (IFSSH) in Seoul, South Korea, in October of 2010. He presented his experience in introducing hand surgery in North Africa. In addition to his academic presentations, he has published reports in the American Journal of Orthopaedics and the Journal of the Southern Orthopaedic Association.
Dr. Muhammad received the Physician Service Excellence Award at Riverside Medical Center Kankakee, Illinois.
Dr. Kermit Muhammad is ranked by Healthgrades as a “Five-Star Doctor,” its highest level of recognition.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology: Morehouse College, Atlanta, GA
- Doctor of Medicine: Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Howard University Hospital, Washington, D.C.
- Hand and Microsurgery Fellowship: University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Subspecialty Certificate in Surgery of the Hand: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Chicago Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Kankakee Medical Society
- Illinois State Medical Society
- American Medical Association
- Riverside Medical Center
- Presence St. Mary’s Hospital
- Oak Surgical Institute
Dr. Kermit Muhammad Lectures on Upper Extremity Care
Circular Saw Safety
As spring quickly approaches many are preparing to take their hobbies and activities to the next level, spring cleaning, redecorating and...Read More
Physician Spotlight - Kermit S. Muhammad, MD
Dr. Kermit Muhammad is completing his tenth year of practice at OAK Orthopedics where he has brought his expertise and surgical skills in hand and...Read More
Finger Injuries in Sports: The “Jammed Finger”
Sports injuries of the fingers are common. Sports involving catching and throwing present a particular vulnerability to the fingers. Many adults...Read More