You are here
Dr. Jalaal Shah is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon with extensive training in hip, knee, and shoulder disorders. He performs the latest procedures in orthopedics, including minimally invasive joint replacement, muscle-sparing anterior hip replacement, robotic hip and knee replacements, and complex revision hip and knee replacement. He continues to enjoy treating patients of all ages with orthopedic injuries and conditions, including fractures and trauma as well as hand, foot, and ankle needs.
An Illinois native, Dr. Shah was born and raised in Chicago. He studied mechanical engineering in Boston, Massachusetts, at Northeastern University. He returned to Chicago for medical school, where he earned his medical degree and completed his orthopedic residency at Midwestern University in Downers Grove. During his residency, he also trained at The University of Chicago Medicine, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Cook County Health, Advocate Christ Medical Center, and Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, among many other prestigious hospitals. Dr. Shah has also been published within the field of orthopedic surgery. He spent a year at Harvard Medical School's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and has been published in peer-reviewed journals such as The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery among others.
After his residency, Dr. Shah completed his fellowship training in complex hip, knee, and shoulder replacement at Los Angeles Orthopaedic Institute in Los Angeles. There, he was trained under the mentorship of Dr. Edward J. McPherson, one of the world's leading experts in complex joint replacement, prosthetic joint infection, and adult reconstruction.
When not seeing patients, Dr. Shah enjoys spending time with family, staying active, attending sporting events, deep-sea fishing, skiing, and snowboarding. He also has interest in music, traveling in and outside of the US, the vintage automobile industry, and learning about the culinary arts.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering: Northeastern University, Boston, MA
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine: Midwestern University, Downers Grove, IL
- Traditional Rotating Internship: Midwestern University/Franciscan St. James Health, Chicago, IL
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Midwestern University/Franciscan St. James Health, Chicago, IL
- Adult Reconstruction Fellowship: Los Angeles Orthopaedic Institute, Los Angeles, CA
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- American Osteopathic Association
- AO Trauma Foundation
- The American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers