In search of safe exercise during COVID-19, many in the area are mountain biking and cycling. As fellowship-trained sports medicine...Read More
You are here
Dr. Carey Ellis is a board-certified, fellowship-trained primary care sports medicine physician who has trained comprehensively in the nonsurgical treatment of musculoskeletal concerns. He also serves as a co-chair for the sports-related concussion program at OAK Orthopedics. In his practice, Dr. Ellis sees sports injuries in patients of all ages, from children and adolescents to adults and seniors, recreational to elite, including high school, college, and professional athletes.
Dr. Ellis received his bachelor’s degree from San Diego State University, where he was a member of the Aztec baseball program as an infielder. As an undergraduate, Dr. Ellis worked as a student athletic trainer for San Diego State University, San Francisco State University, and the San Diego Chargers (NFL). He then earned his medical degree from the Keck School of the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California.
After his residency in family medicine at Kaiser Permanente Foundation Hospital in Woodland Hills, California, Dr. Ellis completed his fellowship in sports medicine at The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine–Tulsa/Eastern Oklahoma Orthopedic Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma. During his fellowship, Dr. Ellis served as team physician for the University of Tulsa, Oral Roberts University, Northeastern State University, the Tulsa Drillers (Colorado Rockies AA Baseball Team), and Booker T. Washington High School.
Currently, Dr. Ellis serves as the director of sports medicine and team physician for Olivet Nazarene University, Kankakee Community College, and Bradley-Bourbonnais High School. Dr. Ellis has been one of the team physicians for the United States Soccer Federation/U.S. Soccer since 2009. He has traveled to Spain, England, Mexico, Turkey, Portugal, Panama, Bosnia, Honduras, Italy, and Argentina with the U17 and U18 Men's National Teams. Additionally, Dr. Ellis serves as a team physician/consulting physician for the Chicago Bears.
Dr. Ellis is an adjunct professor at Olivet Nazarene University and serves as a site preceptor for athletic training at Illinois State University. Dr. Ellis also serves as a clinical assistant professor at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine and in the Riverside Medical Center internal medicine residency program. He has lectured and presented clinical cases at multiple national sports medicine conferences, and he resides in Bourbonnais with his wife and three children. In his spare time, he enjoys volleyball, golf, cycling, and working out.
Dr. Ellis is available to see patients at our Bradley Office.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts in Physical Education/Sports Medicine: San Diego State University, San Diego, CA
- Doctor of Medicine: Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- Family Medicine Internship: Kaiser Permanente Foundation Hospital, Woodland Hills, CA
- Family Medicine Residency: Kaiser Permanente Foundation Hospital, Woodland Hills, CA
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine-Tulsa/Eastern Oklahoma Orthopedic Center, Tulsa, OK
- American Board of Family Practice
- Certificate of Added Qualifications in Sports Medicine: American Board of Family Practice
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- American Medical Association
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- Kankakee Medical Society
- National Football League Physicians Society
- Chicago Bears
- Olivet Nazarene University
- Bradley-Bourbonnais Community High School
- Kankakee Community College
- U.S. Soccer
- Presence St. Mary’s Hospital
- Riverside Medical Center
- Oak Surgical Institute
OAK Orthopedics Offers 5 Tips for Cycling Safely
OAK Orthopedics' Sports Medicine Doctors Advise Fall Athletes on Safety This Season
As school districts and leagues resume practices and competitions for the fall after COVID-19 closures, the team of specialized sports medicine...Read More
Dr. Carey Ellis goes global to cover world-class athletes
NEW ADVANCED TREATMENT for people suffering from debilitating tendon pain
Among the first doctors in the country trained on TENEX HEALTH TX™, Dr. Ellis discusses the successful results seen in his patients....Read More
OAK Reunites at NFL Combine
It was an OAK reunion at this year’s NFL Combine in Indianapolis as Dr. Michael Corcoran and Dr. Carey Ellis met up with former OAK Orthopedic...Read More